I have realized that I have many friends and family members who are living a dairy-free, vegetarian, or vegan lifestyle. When we all get together we tend to enjoy our time over a meal or sharing food in some way. I love cooking for family and friends, and I want everyone to be able to enjoy what I make. I also love fooling those who are “regular” eaters by allowing them to taste what I’ve made before telling them it’s vegan. Usually they can’t tell a difference.
I am finding that I enjoy creating some vegan-style recipes. There are a lot of fascinating things that can be used as substitutes in recipes. It has been a challenging experience, but in a good way! It’s been fun trying to figure things out.
My Banana Bread is no exception! You would never know it was vegan, but you do know, since I’ve just told you. I didn’t actually set out to make a vegan banana bread originally, it just kind of, happend. I hadn’t set my butter out to soften to room temperture, and I didn’t want to wait for it (I don’t care to soften butter in the microwave; it just isn’t the same). I quickly thought of things I could use in place of butter, and avocado came to my mind. From there, like my brother-in-law, the banana bread went vegan!
The Banana Bread is sweet, full of banana flavor, and spiced up with a little cinnamon. It is great with a good cup of coffee!
1 large ripe avocado, mashed with a fork
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 large ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp liquid coconut oil
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Bake the Banana Bread on 350 degrees Fahrenehit for about 40-45 minutes. Baking times may vary.
Remove the Banana Bread from the oven and allow to cool. The bread can be sliced and served from the loaf pan, or carefully removed from the pan to slice and serve. I like to leave some of the parchment paper hanging over the edge of the pan when I line it, so I can just lift the loaf right out of the pan.
Serves: 1 loaf
- 1 large ripe avocado, mashed with a fork
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp liquid coconut oil
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preaheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir the sugar and brown sugar together with the mashed avocado until combined in a mixing bowl.
- Add the mashed banana, vanilla extract, and coconut oil to the mixing bowl with the avocado and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together.
- Stir the flour mixture into banana mixture until well combined.
- Pour the batter into a 9 inch by 5 inch loaf pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the Banana Bread on 350 degrees Fahrenehit for about 40-45 minutes. Baking times may vary.
- Remove the Banana Bread from the oven and allow to cool before serving.