For Mother’s Day last year, I made the famous Slyh in the Kitchen House Salad for the first time. It was an immediate hit. I’ve made it for most family gatherings since. I don’t know why it’s taken so long for me to post this recipe? It is after all our logo! It’s such a pretty and colorful salad; I had to share it with everyone!
The recipe isn’t all that complicated. I think what makes it such a pretty looking salad is being layered onto a platter rather than in a bowl. Sometimes the presentation of the dish can make all the difference.
Our House Salad is fantastic. It works as a great side dish or even as a main meal. I like to eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. The salad also pairs really well with most salad dressings, so people can choose whatever they like. You could even top the salad with some of Jon’s Grilled Italian Chicken for another fabulous dinner option.
7 cups green leaf lettuce, rinsed and dried
1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
2 hard boil eggs, peeled and chopped
½ cup sliced mushrooms
3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
1 carrot, shredded
¼ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
Croutons and salad dressing of choice for serving
Makes about 8 side salad servings
Start my layering the lettuce onto a platter.
Top with the tomatoes.
Sprinkle the hard boil eggs on next.
Evenly distribute the mushrooms.
Top with the chopped bacon and cranberries. It’s so hard not to nibble on the bacon when making the salad!
Grate the carrot over the top of the House Salad.
Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the salad.
I like to serve the croutons and dressing on the side so everyone can use the amount of their liking.
- 7 cups green leaf lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 2 hard boil eggs, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Croutons and salad dressing of choice for serving
- Start my layering the lettuce onto a platter.
- Next layer on the tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, mushrooms, bacon, cranberries, grated carrot, and shredded cheese.
- Serve the croutons and dressing on the side so everyone can use the amount of their liking.